Question: Can botox heal hemifacial spasms?
Answer: Botox is a commonly used treatment for hemifacial spasms. However, the way it works is by paralyzing the muscles. The underlying cause of the hemifacial spasm which is likely a pinched nerve caused by physical trauma or a blood vessel compressing the nerve will still exist. Many people find that they have to undergo multiple Botox treatments as it eventually wears after after a few months and the twitching comes back. A more permanent but also more risky treatment is microvascular decompression surgery.
Other questions related to hemifacial eye twitching:
- Can hemifacial spasm ever just turn out to be a regular facial twitch?
- Can hemifacial spasm ever go away on its own?
- Can botox heal hemifacial spasms?
- Can being in a car accident worsen hemifacial spasms?
- Can a chiropractor help hemifacial spasms?